on campus

James Haywood Rolling Jr. named interim AAS chair

Surya Vaidy | Staff Photographer

James Haywood Rolling Jr, professor of arts education in SU's School of Education, was named interim chair of the African American Studies department Wednesday. His appointment, which starts on May 8, will last for two years.

James Haywood Rolling Jr., an arts education professor in Syracuse University’s School of Education, has been named the interim chair of African American Studies, Behzad Mortazavi, dean of SU’s College of Arts and Sciences, told department faculty Wednesday.

In addition to completing a graduate fellowship in AAS while he was a student at SU in the 1980s, Rolling has served as “an affiliated AAS faculty member” since 2020, Mortazavi told staff in an email obtained by The Daily Orange. His appointment, which starts on May 8, will last for two years.

On Jan. 12, AAS faculty were notified via email that the department would not have a chair for the semester after the department and university failed to reach an agreement about appointing Herbert Ruffin, an AAS associate professor. He previously held the position from 2016 to 2020.

The announcement sparked concern about the future of the department among AAS faculty and staff, as well as students and alumni.

In the email, Mortazavi highlighted Rolling’s experience founding the 4A Arts & Creative Literacies Academy and securing a multi-million dollar grant for the university’s Lender Center for Social Justice. From 2021 to 2023, he also served as the president of the National Art Education Association.

In addition to his capacity as interim chair, Rolling will “continue his commitment” to the School of Education, the dean wrote.

“I’m confident that this unique blend of leadership experience, interdisciplinary scholarship and academic and alumni affiliation make Professor Rolling an exceptionally qualified person to lead our Department of African American Studies,” Mortazavi wrote.